Pine doors and watco?

gladahmaeNovember 29, 2009

We are in the process of building our first home. I've been lurking on here for a few weeks (usually am in the Garden forum) and I have a few questions.

We are planning on putting waterlox+stain onto pine plank flooring for our first floor dining/living room. We also have pine doors that I would like to finish with some sort of oil (I think) to give it a look similar to the floors, but with a different color. Searching and reading through here, it seems that I should NOT use waterlox for the doors, but should use something like Watco Danish Oil. A home improvement store near us has watco with color stain mixed in (I like 'Cherry') but I'm wondering if anyone has used it on pine and what the results were like as I've also read that stains can shift on pine.

Or, do you recommend something different? We're going for a slightly rustic look (hickory kitchen cabs, pine plank floor, etc) so I don't want my doors to have a shiney and new-looking finish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodcutterron

I don't know what you mean by 'shift' but uneven absorption is an issue with pine. Watco products are pretty good, The danish oil in particular. What you might want to do is buy a can of the tinted you like and a can of clear. Wipe on a coat of the clear first, then go with the tinted stuff.

It's better to wipe on numerous thin coats than a few heavy coats too. This process will allow you sort of blend any darker areas that appear out too.

With pine, I've found that it takes about 4-6 coats to get a good even lustre. With the clear too, if you get the tint you want on the third coat, you can always top it off with another layer of clear too.

Of course you can brush it on, it's a bit faster, but wiping it on with a lint-free cloth will give a much more luxurious "look". Since you'll be looking at it for years, it's probably worth the extra hour or so you'll spend wiping it on rather than brushing it on. Less chance for a run to be missed too.

Another tip: Put a lamp without a shade a few feet from the door, but only a few inches further out than the door is. This harsh light will help you spot areas you might miss and runs a LOT easier than if the light is above or behind your work area.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 12:41AM
gladahmae

So essentially, by applying a coat of clear, I'm pre-conditioning the wood, correct?

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 1:19PM
bobismyuncle

Watco clear is about 2/3 mineral spirits, 2/9 boiled linseed oil, and 1/9 varnish. Sounds like a wash coat to me, more or less.

Here is a link that might be useful: conditioners

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 9:31PM
woodcutterron

Yea, it essentially functions as just for this situation.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 12:55AM
gladahmae

Thank you!!

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™