Certainteed, leaking like a seive!

changelingDecember 3, 2007

About 2 years ago I replaced my kitchen window with a Certainteed Corp "Top of there line" window, all options ($250.00). This is a kitchen window that is not large, as you know.

With the window totally closed, it leakes/intakes air like there isn't even a window there!!

Today, Dec 3, 2007 There are wind gusts up to 50 miles per hour in Maryland. Even when it is not gusting the curtains blow out towards the inside!!

I used "foam", when installing the window and "Know" that the air is not coming from around the window! it is coming from between the window and the frame.

Certainteed hasn't answered my emails!! Can you guys tell me how to fix this situation?

Changeling

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
changeling

No expert comments? Any comments?

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 5:39PM
ron6519

It sound like, either the sash weatherstripping is missing or the side frame is bowed out. This can happen due to an incomplete or sloppy install. Take a straight edge and place it on the jambs to see if their bowed. If they are, do the following.
On most vinyl windows there is a screw midway up each of the side jambs that you need to set to stabilize this flexible material. Screw it clockwise until the bracket makes contact with the interior wood frame. Adjust it until the jamb is straight. Do the same on the other side. Test the sashes for smooth operation. If they bind a little, back off the screw a little on each side.
To check if the weatherstripping is there, tilt in the sashes. There should be this fuzzy stripping on all 4 sides of the exterior sash face. If it's missing, contact Certainteed and have them send it to you. If you can't install it unless you disassemble the sashes, have them install it under warranty.
Ron

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 12:13AM
changeling

Ron, I'll check these things right away and get back to you.
Changeling

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 1:29PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

If the bulb seal on the bottom of the bottom sash is too short, it will create a tunnel effect for air to rush up the jamb and exit around the tilt latches.

Be sure to check the bulb seal. It should fit snugly between the jambs when sash is closed. That is one faulty item on most Certainteed windows.

Michael

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 4:50PM
changeling

brushworks/Michael, I am a little unsure of what you call "Bulb Seal". Could you explain a little more, sorry, but I am not getting it. How do I check?

The more information the better, I'm not at home (forgot to mention) but when I get there (if the snow lets up) I am going to check what you guys have said. I truly appreciate the help !

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 5:05PM
ron6519

The bulb seal in on the bottom of the bottom sash and top of the top sash and seals any gap between the sash and the frame. It's part of the weatherstripping system.
Ron

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 7:26AM
changeling

The problem turned out to be the adjustment screw in the the jamb. I adjusted it as "Ron6519" recommended and the problem is solved.
Thanks for all the input to all and especially Ron6519. Sorry for the late return of "thank you" .

Changeling

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Feedback / sanity check on Marvin & Kolbe quotes
So I got my rough quotes from a local Marvin Design...
aptosca
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™