question on led recessed lighting. ic or not?

jagermeisterJune 28, 2012

I'm doing a bathroom renovation and wanted to use LED recessed lighting but can't figure out if it's ok to cover the cans with insulation. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I plan on using the 5" LED retrofit kit made by Lithonia found at Home Depot. The kit comes with the can, and a combo trim/LED bulb. The area above the bathroom is an attic with batted insulation.

The box the kit comes in states "IC/NON-IC REMODEL HOUSING". So which is it? Nothing in the installation directions specifically states making it an IC or NON-IC installation. In the general caution list, there is a line item stating to avoid covering the LED fixture with insulation, foam, or other material. However, if the can is truely IC, then covering with insulation shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a little put out at the lack of detail in the directions regarding IC or NON-IC. This, to me, seems to be a pretty important issue. Is there a better recessed LED kit out there that addresses this more clearly?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You have a model number of the housing?

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 1:36PM
jagermeister

Thanks for your reply.

I ended up returning the retrofit kit and got a 6" IC rated can manufactured by HALO. In that I installed an LED light and trim. Ended up being $10 cheaper than the kit for a bigger light with more lumens. I have peace of mind knowing the can is definitely IC rated.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:23PM
weedmeister

If I were going to guess, I would say that it is qualified for both installations. Except it should not be covered as stated (sides touching would be ok).

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 4:13PM
Marc12345

Could also be a label made for multiple models, where one is IC rated and another isn't. In such instances, one of them is supposed to be (but not always) marked or circled.

Glad you got a solution you're happy with.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Sponsored Products
Bromi Design BCP1113-6 Crystalline Modern 6 Light Crystal Chandelier - BCP1113-6
$432.00 | Hayneedle
VIGO Northern Lights Glass Vessel Sink and Faucet Set in Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Prandina | Notte S5 Pendant
$980.00 | YLighting
Lola Bath Light
Lightology
Uttermost Tinella Wall Sconce in Dark Rust Bronze Metal
Beyond Stores
Bridge Pendant by George Kovacs
$390.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™