Fiberglass or steel door for intense heat exposure?

TimLanaiDecember 12, 2012

We are replacing our front entry door. Our house faces south and gets direct sun exposure for most of the day (no overhang). The front door gets baked so much for 6 months of the year (in Tennessee) that our brass door handle many times is too hot to even touch without burning yourself. Which material is best suited to deal with that kind of heat - steel or fiberglass?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Either materials will do fine. It is the finish that will likely break down first. A storm door with a screen on it in the summer would certainly help diffuse the sun's energy as well.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 8:40PM
mmarse1

be sure to invest in a storm door with a built in ventilation system because a storm door can trap heat and cause problems with fiberglass as well as fade the finish on either steel or fiberglass.
be sure to choose a higher quality door not something at home depot or lowes. i would look at ProVia, HMI , Homeguard, and Polaris.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 9:31PM
HomeSealed

Either should be fine assuming a quality product, but I suppose the steel would be a better choice. Either way, I would avoid installing a storm door if possible, unless you use a screen or vent it as mentioned above to prevent that heat build-up.... Heat will take a brutal toll one way or the other.

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 23:42

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™