detailer - sander

ready2movesNovember 1, 2012

I am sanding off the finish on a table, to refinish it. I have a palm sander and have generally sanded by hand in the corners and detail. Well, this table has more than I care for to do by hand, as my fingers are really sore. (getting old here). :)

I would like to buy another electric sander for detail work. I would like recommendations, please. My only request is that its easy to hold and use. Being female, my palm sander has a huge grip on it for me. I am small boned, and not too happy with such a huge grip. Any suggestions for me, please??? Easy to use too, please or change pieces on.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I have found that the large orbital finishing sanders work well in shelves and tables because they are big enough I can use both hands.

Their weight on the paper is enough to do the job and I just steer it up and down the grain.

If you are talking about small details, the sander has to be smaller than the detail ... I start with the big one and move to the 1/4 sheet sander and then a sanding sponge if need be.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 5:19PM
bobismyuncle

Another reason why sanding off old finish (instead of using a chemical stripper) is just plain wrong, not merely a bad idea.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:24PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Fein once owned the detail sander market but their patent expired and now just about everyone makes something similar. Try your local hardware store or home center and see what you like.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:35PM
bobismyuncle

I have the Fein and detail sander attachment. It works OK on raw wood, but gums up pretty quickly on finish.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:43PM
ready2moves

I've used chemical stripers too. Its messy, and its chemicals. I usually like sanding the intricate details, but my fingers are just not cooperating anymore.
Hit the big box store today, and saw some sanders I thought might work. (detail sander)
Yea, I know the sander gums up. :) I think I just want a new toy! :) I just thought those who do this more than I do, could recommend their fav toy.
thanks!!!! :)
ps saw a belt sander today, i'd love to have, except if i came home with it, I am pretty sure my hubby would know it was NOT going to do detail work.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:41PM
brickeyee

"Its messy, and its chemicals."

Probbaly no worse than turning the cured finish unto dust and then breathing it.

EVERYTHING is chemicals, with all sorts of toxicity levels.

Drink enough water faster enough and it will kill you.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™