Screen Material Suggestions for PETS

rjingaDecember 3, 2009

I have cats that have discovered small snags in my aging window screens and when the windows are open, have decided to make their own pet doors. I'm hoping to find something super tough that I can use to replace all these screens. I do not want to keep replacing them. And I think if they are sturdy and 100% intact, then they (cats) wont bother with them, well this is what I'm hoping anyway!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccecilm

Stainless steel insect screen (sometimes referred to as security screen) is available but it may not work in your existing screen frames. Just google the phrase "stainless steel insect screen" (without the quotes) and you will get a lot of hits.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 10:05AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

The high visibility screening materials out there (Pella calls it Vivid View while Andersen calls it something else) is a stainless steel mesh.

It is going to be sturdier than fiberglass but much, much more expensive. I am not sure where you can get it in rolls whereas fiberglass is very easy to find.

I think you will be better off with fiberglass and a screening tool.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 10:09AM
fenestrationman

Another option is aluminum screen mesh. It is readily available. Slightly more cost than fiberglass, but more durable.
You may need a smaller diameter screen spline. This type is a little trickier to roll into the frames.
I had a small dog that used to like to make his own doors. This solved my problem.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Starmark/OKNA Replacement Windows vs. Anderson?
We met with a salesman yesterday who quoted us a price...
snaupal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™