Cabinet end panels

prairiefoxNovember 15, 2008

I asked this question over at Home Repairs but maybe this is the better forum. The end caps of my cabinets, I believe, are a thin sheet of veneer. Anyhow, some ends have faded badly and what I want to know does one replace this or could I restain them where they are? If I do replace them, do I get replacement sheets at Home Depot type places? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the cabinets are made with MDF, then that is veneer. It will be very thin, so any sanding has to be done very carefully and any stripping with chemical compounds also carefully done.

If the cabinets are plywood, the top layer is also veneer and may be even thinner.

If you can find out what stain and finish were used, it may be possible for you to remove the finish and restain in place. It is not a DIY friendly job unless the DIYer has some experience with that kind of thing.

    Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am an insurance adjuster and wanted to know if you have a video or detailed instruction on replacing the cabinet end panel, not the veneer, we have contractors who do it and sometimes when you explaine it to a customer they dont understand and would like to have information for them to view.

    Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Pull them off and replace them.

If they are 'skins' you may be able to just attach a new panel over the old with little real effort.
It depends on how much reveal will remain to any frame around the end panel.

If you have framed end panels thyy may have been just nailed to the cabinet side to create the appearance of a panel.

You can often pull them off and replace them with a whole new framed end panel.

Look inside the cabinet first though, sometimes they are screwed in place from the inside of the cabinet into the framing around the perimeter of the panel.
Since no one sees the inside usually, the flat head screws are left exposed.

    Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 9:46AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
Sponsored Products
Blue Agave Yarn Dyed Faux Dupioni Silk Curtain Panel
Galien 17 3/4" Wide Clear Crystal Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II Entertainment Center in Silver...
Great Furniture Deal
Outdoor Lighting. Artisan Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Architectural Br
$65.90 | Home Depot
Classic Curl Iron Pull
Signature Hardware
Dyna-Glo 5-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner - DGE530GSP-D
$549.00 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Decor Green 54 x 96-Inch Escape Grommet Top Single Panel
$24.95 | Bellacor
Set of 4 Akari 35" Wide Old World Decorative Wall Mirrors
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™