Help!

tinabinabobinaNovember 14, 2009

I painted a chair and shortly after painted a top coat of varnish on it to give it a rich shine.....The paint was dry to the touch before I put the varnish on, but it was out in the garage were it has been cool and damp. It's been 48 hours and it's still sticky......is this normal or did I make a big mistake? If so what can I do now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

What kind of paint? What kind of varnish?

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 7:59AM
kudzu9

Can you bring the chair in to a heated space? This might help. On the other hand, if the finishes were incompatible, that's another issue.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 3:20PM
tinabinabobina

I used Latex paint and a oil based stain. Should I maybe seal it with a polyurethane? Thanks for your help. I did bring the chair inside, hopefully it'll cure.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 4:29AM
Jon1270

You may get lucky, but you may also have to start over. "Dry to the touch" is not enough when switching between latex and oil finishes. It would've been best not to do this at all, but at the very least you should've let the latex cure completely (like for a day or two) before topcoating.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 6:56AM
HandyMac

You have used three terms for the materials you used---latex, oil based stain and varnish. Stains are not finishes and may not dry when applied to a painted surface.

If you painted the chair with latex paint and then applied an oil based stain, the stain cannot be absorbed into the wood---the intended and designed purpose---so it can only sit on top of the paint. Eventually the oil based carrier will dry, but the stain particles wlii still be smearable.

If you used an oil based varnish over the paint, the varnish may be too old and will not dry properly.

Give the chair a couple of days in the warm interior and check it. If it is still wet, simply use paint thinner to get as much of the stuff off. Thinner will not hurt the latex(unless it was not dry) and you can sand lightly and try a new varnish.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:19AM
bobismyuncle

In addition to all the misuses and incompatibilities noted above, water borne finishes can take up to three weeks, at a temperature above 65 degrees, with nothing on top, to properly cure.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™