protective film on anderson windows removal

soredustDecember 5, 2010

Anderson Window Protective Film thats been on over 3 years, the manufacturers recomendations is 9 months. Looking for an easy solution if anyone can help. The interior comes off normal but the exterior rips apart and stays on. Trying to avoid using razor blade. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jocobe

If your glass is the new LowE-4, then you do not want to use razor blades.

Call Andersen @ 1-888-888-7020 and ask them. Last time I talked to them about the issue, it involved using white scotch brite pads.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 4:01PM
skydawggy

While I don't recommend the use of razors on glass, there isn't anything special about Andersen E-4 glass. It's just the Cardinal 366 glass Andersen rebranded to make it sound like it's better than their competitors. Andersen pushes it for every installation because of the tax credits and it's the only glass that cam be used in their windows to get them to qualify. It's really designed for a warm climate because of the low solar gain. It is not appropriate for Northern Climates and should be used sparingly elsewhere.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 5:54PM
jocobe

Actually there is a film on the exterior of the glass that makes it a lot less likely for water droplets to form. Andersen does not recommend razor blades as it will remove the film. You won't visibly see any difference, however the 'self-cleaning' film will be removed.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 8:32PM
oberon476

The protective film is called Preserve and the exterior easy-clean coating (I would not call it a film though) is called NEAT. Using razor blades to remove the Preserve film will damage the NEAT coating, even if you may not see the damage it is still there.

The Preserve will need to be warm in order to remove it. Do not try to remove it cold. Using a hair drier may help and then you will likely have to remove it strip by strip - it is still probably going to be a pain unfortunately.

You are also likely to leave some adhesive behind. You can use acetone to remove the excess adhesive, but be very careful because while the acetone won't harm the NEAT coating, it will damage both the paint and coating of the window sash and frame and there is no warranty for that damage.

If you can wait until spring it might be easier...but that is up to you now.

Good luck

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 9:13AM
ibwindows

"While I don't recommend the use of razors on glass, there isn't anything special about Andersen E-4 glass. It's just the Cardinal 366 glass Andersen rebranded to make it sound like it's better than their competitors. Andersen pushes it for every installation because of the tax credits and it's the only glass that cam be used in their windows to get them to qualify. It's really designed for a warm climate because of the low solar gain. It is not appropriate for Northern Climates and should be used sparingly elsewhere."

Skydog are you really in the window biz? You seem to be full of some really bad information. Bordering on you haven't a clue what you are talking about. What's up with that?

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 6:54PM
skydawggy

Please feel free to point out what I'm wrong about. I await your response.

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Need to keep sun out of old Anderson bay window
This may well be the wrong place and I apologize. ...
quimoi
Sponsored Products
Anderson Walnut Finish Twin Bed
Overstock.com
Alpine Anderson Server / Flat Panel TV Console
Beyond Stores
Why Cats Do That Book
$15.50 | FRONTGATE
Quoizel Anderson Rustic Outdoor Post Lamp
1800Lighting
Accent Lamp: 8.25 in. Anderson Lamp TA11164
$70.00 | Home Depot