Replacing French Doors

threeboxerloverDecember 19, 2012

I have two sets of French Doors I need to have replaced. I've got a couple contractors coming to give me estimates but I've read that it's wise to avoid doors purchased at the large box stores like Depot and Lowes. One of the contractors specifically mentioned buying the door at Home Depot and then installing it for me. So I have two questions - 1, which brands are recommended? The contractor only mentioned Andersen and Pella, but I understand there are a lot more. Second question - should I be looking for another contractor if this one is buying the door at home depot? Thank you for any info you can provide!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

What type of material did you want the door to be made from?

Fiberglass, vinyl, wood, etc?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:03PM
mmarse1

i would look for a contractior that installs HMI Doors , Provia, or homeguard doors.
they are high quality and tens times better than the stuff they sell at HD or lowes. the difference in quality is huge,

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 8:18AM
threeboxerlover

Regarding the material - the two doors I have now are wood, which I like. But I have big dogs and they've had their way with the wood LOL, so I'm thinking fiberglass.... The doors are exposed to the elements outside (no real overhang) so I wasn't considering steel because I heard they rust???

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 5:14PM
threeboxerlover

Also, none of the contractors I've talked to (I've had three now come out) have mentioned those brands...HMI, Provia, etc. They've all talked about Andersen and one only sells Lansing? Also, ironically, they've all been out, measured, etc and I still do not have estimates. Thank you for your help/advice!

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 5:17PM
mmarse1

where are you located? also, call the respective brands and have them guide you to a dealer/ installer.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Privacy Glass?
I'm planning new windows for a master bath, and want...
numbersjunkie
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™