Bonding ground wire in main service panel

flyhopJune 30, 2013

Shouldn't there be a grounding wire leading from a metal contact of the main breaker box itself (the big grey box that houses the service coming in and all of the smaller breakers) to the neutral/ground buss bar?

When I use a simple light tester and connect one probe the hot terminal of a 15 or 20A breaker and connect the other probe to the neutral/ground buss bar, it lights up. When I move that 2nd probe from the buss bar to the metal box itself, nothing. Shouldn't the box itself be bonded to the buss bars in some fashion? If it were bonded, wouldn't my tester light up?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Why don't you keep it all in the same therad?
There doesn't necessarily need to be a bonding wire. The panels are almost always constructed so that the grounding terminals are electrically connected to the case (though sometimes there may be a provision for removing that bonding, typically a screw or bar).

What did you use to make the connection to the case? The paint and even to some extent the rust will be a reasonable insulator. You need to find some place where you've got bare metal (I typically use the inside of one of the screw holes that previously had the cover screw in it).

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flyhop

I posted again as I wasn't sure I was asking the right question. Seemed easier to just start over.

I got your post on other. You were right about finding bare metal on box to test on. Yup....it's bonded to one of the bussbars.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™