Newbie Q: Inside-mount shades on vinyl windows

amandmDecember 5, 2010

All I've ever done before with windows is hang roller shades and cover them with a valance. Now I'm trying to hang rice-paper blinds inside a window--but I discovered that the window has no depth to make that possible. However, there is about one inch of what feel like plastic between the top of the window itself and the trim around the window. (This may be a filler strip of some kind to make a standard-size replacement vinyl window fit into a non-standard size opening.)

Can I attach a shade to that piece of plastic somehow? Adhesive? I know it wouldn't be really inside mounted, in that the shade would project out from the window into the room, but it would keep the shade all within the outlines of the trim. I would really, really like not to hang the shade from the trim or outside it; I want the lines of the trim surrounding the shade without interruption.

Thanks for any help!

Anne-Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muskymojo

Yes. You can hang a blind from the vinyl jamb. Make sure to pre-drill before you screw. If it's not solid enough, just use a longer screw and you should find some wood.
Good luck!

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™