Alside window condensation

JamesWaymanDecember 12, 2010

I have recently installed Alside ultamaxx windows double pane with argon gas inbetween. Condensation has formed on both bottom and top sashes since the outside temp has dropped. Is this normal? I thought the argon gas was suppose to insulate against this problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

Argon gas has nothing to do with it. You likely have a high humidity level in you house and it's possible you are experiecing air infiltration. I would start by contacting the installed and seeing if he can adjust the lock and keeper. I would also draw back any shades and blinds to allow air to circulate. Try this first and post back if that doesn't solve the problem.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 9:15PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

That is completely normal depending on the window.

You have cold air that is coming into the home at the meeting rail and mixing with warm/moist conditioned air.

Cold meets warm and moist = condensation.

What Sky suggests is correct. Try to control the humidity and get some circulation around the window.

Let us know how it goes.

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 9:29AM
texasredhead

I have mentioned before on this forum that I have 25 Plygem windows. Our house is as tight as a drum meaning that moisture from showers and laundry has no where to go and will somwtimes show as condensation on a window or two especially in cold weather. It helps considerably to use vents in the bathrooms. Another option is to open a couple of windows and inch or so to let out some of the moisture.

BTW, our windows have considerable insulation between the frame and the brick and we have NO draft what so ever.

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Requesting feedback re: interior bronze window frames
My home is a small (1500 sq. ft.) contemporary with...
texasgal47
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™