Barnwood - How to Clean

jk96November 28, 2006

Sorry, I'm sure this question has probably been asked before but can't seem to find anything when searching.

I'm getting ready to install some old barnwood on a wall in our home. I recently salvaged it from a local barn that was going to be burned. I'm trying to find out the best way to clean to get rid of pests, mold, etc. I don't want to bring anything into the home, especially since it's cold out right now and the pests would be dormant. Thanks for any help.

JK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrice

A good wire brush. Use compressed air or a vaccum cleaner after giving the wood a thourough brushing.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 10:56AM
jk96

Jrice,

Thanks for the reply. My main concern was insects such as wood borers etc. My thoughts were to stack it in a room in my shop, spacers beneath each board, and use a fogger to kill any insects that may be inside. Anyone have any other suggestions or think this would work ok. The wood is solid, not rotting, and in good shape.

jk

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 4:24PM
sharon_sd

If you use a wire brush, you will remove most of the silvery finish on the barnwood.

Does your area freeze? If so, freezing solid for a week should kill any insects and even most eggs. Those critters like to find above freezing spots to overwinter.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 7:39AM
brickeyee

Any insecticide you use needs to penetrate the material, and then be removed.
I am not particulalry scared of chemicals, including insecticides, but would think long and hard about bringing wood fumigated wothout controls and testing back into a house.
Single exposure durng use is one thing, long term exposure in a house is another.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 12:22PM
tomh_in_pa

I'd find a way to heat it, 140 degrees F will kill pretty much anything and drive off any moisture it has.

Build a kiln out of old roofing tin or something like that and make a small fire under it. Keep it out in the open in case the fire gets begger than you plan though ;^)

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 11:48AM
glennsfc

I have heard that there is now a machine that cooks the little buggers, especially termites, using microwaves. Maybe something for you to look into.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Best Finish over Oil Based Stain
I stained my table with Early American by Minwax, both...
logies101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™