How to refinish this table top? - Pics

jane__nyOctober 27, 2008

It is a shiny, black veneer which I can pick pieces off. Is there anything that can be done to salvage the top?

This is a small night table,



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is it a veneer or is it painted?

    Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 12:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I really don't know. My guess is veneer because I can pick pieces of it off. Whatever it is, its very black and shiny. I don't see any wood grain. How could I find out?


    Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 10:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just the way it's flaking makes me think it's paint. Veneer loosens and bubbles and chips, but it doesn't flake like that (with little bits still sticking in a big bare area like you have, or little flakes coming off intact areas). It tends to get chipped and pulled off on edges, drawers, and comes off in 1 piece (even if it's a small chip)with a very definite height difference (since they don't make it actually paper-thin), not little places all over. If the table was always meant to be painted, it could be pretty nondescript wood, no definite grain. Veneer is usually wood-grained, they make it to save money and just put a thin layer of pretty (expensive) wood (often in a pattern) glued to a basic wood. With the damage that extensive, in the middle of the table, you would have to strip everything off and repaint/reveneer (can't patch veneer that bad, in the middle of a piece, if it is veneer, though sometimes they can reveneer chipped edges and blend them in). So try a paint stripper. Then sand, tack, and repaint.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 9:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Actually, it's probably a colored lacquer, not what you'd think of as paint (though spray paints are lacquers). I don't think you'd want to spray it again through, so painting and then putting a gloss finish on top would be easier. If it's a fairly small table and you have a steady hand (and mask off the areas you don't want to lacquer), well-ventilated place to work, you can use either a spray lacquer/paint, or brush on a gloss paint and spray or brush on lacquer after the paint is dry. It'll take several thin coats of lacquer to get a deep gloss. You may want to try shellac instead - Bobsmyuncle recommended Zinnser Sealcoat (sold as a sanding sealer) as a good out-of-the-can, readily available product. I haven't used it yet.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 10:02AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
Sponsored Products
Simplicity Photo Mobile
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Bocci | 14.1 Single Pendant
$350.00 | YLighting
Vienna Full Spectrum Cesenna 45" Wide Crystal Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Pics On A Wire Frame
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™