Lipstick on a pig: plywood dresser makeover

franksmom_2010October 4, 2010

So, I had this dresser, and came here for advice on refinishing.

I hadn't realized that it was plywood, and I got great advice on how best to finish it.

After a thorough cleaning, I sanded VERY carefully, doing as little hand sanding as possible, and only using a block when I did that. I didn't want to accent the grain any more than it already was. I was able to knock down the grain a bit, but stopped when I was satisfied with it. I removed the formica top, sanded and patched the top plywood, then added a carved trim.

I primed with BIN, then used a satin finish paint to minimize the sheen. I painted the inside of the drawers a pale teal color, then finished with new hardware.

It's still not a great piece of furniture, but it has a new look that better suits our bedroom, and I'm hoping we'll get a few more years of use out of it.

To be fair, here's a pic with flash, taken in the same lighting as the "before" pic:

Thanks again for all of the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quandary

WOW! That's gorgeous. I'd say you made a silk purse from a sow's ear. Great job!

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 11:27PM
HandyMac

Very nice job!

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 1:30AM
franksmom_2010

Thanks so much! I've painted lots of furniture, but I'm always learning something new. Fir plywood was new to me, so it was interesting to see how it would go.

I used a "Ultra white" paint, which I'm not sure I would do again on such a large piece. It's so bright, stark white, it almost glows! The satin sheen was a good choice, though. I've used it for other pieces, and I've found it to be very forgiving on an imperfect surface, and it gives the furniture a soft glow, instead of being so shiny.

I had never used a miter box or done any kind of trim work, and I thought this would be a good practice piece. I learned a few tricks doing that, too.

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 10:19AM
andersons21

A million times better!! Nice job.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 9:56AM
lazy_gardens

Very nice job! It's clean and tidy and inconspicuous.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™