Lipstick on a pig: plywood dresser makeover
So, I had this dresser, and came here for advice on refinishing.
I hadn't realized that it was plywood, and I got great advice on how best to finish it.
After a thorough cleaning, I sanded VERY carefully, doing as little hand sanding as possible, and only using a block when I did that. I didn't want to accent the grain any more than it already was. I was able to knock down the grain a bit, but stopped when I was satisfied with it. I removed the formica top, sanded and patched the top plywood, then added a carved trim.
I primed with BIN, then used a satin finish paint to minimize the sheen. I painted the inside of the drawers a pale teal color, then finished with new hardware.
It's still not a great piece of furniture, but it has a new look that better suits our bedroom, and I'm hoping we'll get a few more years of use out of it.
To be fair, here's a pic with flash, taken in the same lighting as the "before" pic:
Thanks again for all of the help!