Ceiling Fan Wobble Only on One Speed

michael2121June 10, 2009

Hello! I recently installed a fan (Altus model from Modern Fan) and it is wobbling only on one of the 4 speeds (second to lowest speed). I can't figure out why it's only happening on the second to lowest speed, and on all other speeds it doesn't wobble one bit. Attempting to balance with the included balancing kit only added wobble to other speeds. It's on a 36 in. downrod with a 4 speed wall control. Of course the speed on which it wobbles is the speed I will want to use most. Any ideas? Thanks to anyone who may be able to help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pharkus

Your problem isn't really electrical - it's physics. Resonance, natural frequency, that sort of thing.

Think back to when you were in school, and you and your friends would push each other on the swingset. You'd give a push, and the person would go away, then come back after a set amount of time. If your second push happened to be at the right time, it would add speed/momentum and they'd go higher the second time. If your push was at the wrong time, nothing would happen, and they would slow down.

The same thing is happening with your fan. One blade is off-balance, giving the fan a "push" to the side. The fan then swings back after a certain set amount of time. When it is spinning at the right speed (apparently the speed you want), the pushes line up with the times when it would be swinging the right way, causing it to swing/wobble worse.

On other speeds, the "pushes" do not coincide with the right times for it to swing, so they cancel it out, or at least don't add to it.

It's just off-balance. I believe your attempts to balance it with weights are on the right track.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 8:50AM
michael2121

Thank you pharkus. I'm going to keep on trying to balance it!

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 11:25AM
kevinbr_1_att_net

What happens if a ceiling fan isn't balanced properly? anything?

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 1:03PM
brickeyee

"What happens if a ceiling fan isn't balanced properly? anything?"

It wobbles, and if not correctly installed can fall.

It also causes the bearings to wear unevenly, and then they may start making noise.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 4:38PM
tim45z10

Also, check and make sure all of your blades aren't bent in a way there are not supposed to be.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:04AM
hrajotte

Dirty blades can also cause wobbling. But since your fan is new, it is a balance issue. Higher quality fans have blades that are weighed at the factory and blades of the same weights (within 1 gram or so, I believe) are kept together. I have had very good luck with Hunter.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 11:08AM
normel

Before attempting to balance, recheck the tightness of the blades to the motor. A loose blade can cause wobble that may be perceived as a balance problem.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 12:06PM
mikie_gw

hang a string, use a stick, whatever ... measure from one spot on the ceiling down to a blade tip, move next blade tip into postition to touch the measure.

If one is twisted different or bent up/down.. .they wobble.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™