lap joint in crown molding

jaansuOctober 26, 2011

I'm about to tackle my first crown molding project and I need to make a lap joint. It sounds like the best way to make this is via a tilting miter saw. Any good means to do it if all I have is a non-tilting miter saw? What I seem to see is that I need to hold the trim at the spring angle against the fence but I don't feel confident the two cuts will match up. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

That could be a little tricky without a compound miter saw. I'm assuming the crown is too tall to cut in the vertical position?

The only thing I can think of is to make some kind of auxiliary table to support the moulding at the appropriate angle.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 6:12AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Make pencil marks on the fence and table so you can position both pieces the same.
Even better, you can add an insert table with a wooden stop strip that holds the molding at the same spring angle every time.
You can correct the second piece with a block plane as needed.
Casey

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 4:47PM
bobismyuncle

I have a compound miter saw but rarely use it in compound mode to cut compound miters. I much prefer to hold the molding upside down at the appropriate spring angle (pretend the fence is the wall and the table is the ceiling). It's just a lot more foolproof and when switching from left to right, you just swing to the right miter angle (e.g., 45 or 22.5) and ignore the tilt angle. So there's one simple setting instead of two complex ones every time you round a corner.

If you're doing a lot, make a little carriage that you can clamp to your table with a stop to hold the molding in the right position.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 1:09PM
brickeyee

Scarf joints work better.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™