Can I make a frame for a wall mirror?

dancingqueengwOctober 3, 2011

I have two large mirrors glued to the bathroom wall. 36- 48. I'd like to get some wood casing, stain it and glue it to the mirrors as a frame. I did look at mirror ma..... but they are too thick to clear the faucet so I want to use a relatively flat casing. I'm thinking of using a hemlock casing so I can stain it. Could use lightweight MDF and paint it. Can this be done? Any tips? TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RRM1

Since it is in a bathroom you might want to stay away from MDF, but paint grade poplar, or similar should work fine. You might even rabbet the stock you use to mirror thickness so it will fit tight to both wall and mirror.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 10:34PM
karinl

Look beyond flat casings to various profiles that have a step (rabbet) in the back. This might be something among chair rail, back band, or wainscot caps at your local millwork supplier (eg see link below). I've even used flooring reducers or transitions. You can see many options if you wander around this site under products/mouldings.

Go to a specialty shop for maximum selection, although the big box stores will have one or two such items.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair rail profiles

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 7:17PM
brickeyee

You can also simply have any molding pattern you like rabbeted (or do it yourself with a router) and use it.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™