What is this? A cornice?

oceangirlmeOctober 15, 2008

I'm not sure what I should call this. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's a "broken, swan's neck pediment" off of a highboy cabinet, since it has returns (side legs). It can also be said to have a central keystone-shaped plinth surmounted by an urn finial.

    Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree....if you need verification.
Linda C

    Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 11:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I thought that a pediment was the molding and trim that is sometimes found at the top of a window. Is that a pediment as well? Thanks for your help.

    Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 3:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A pediment is an architectural term for an element that is or is similar to the gable end of a roof. A portico can have a pedimented gable. When a pediment does not run up to meet at a peak, it is a broken pediment (it was like that when I got here..) Swan's neck, as in your case, refers to the s-curvature of the raking parts.
A bit of trim over a door or window that runs horizontally is called an architrave. When it is peaked, it could be called a pedimented architrave, or if very elaborate on its own, a pediment.
There being a hierarchy to elements in classical architecture, an architrave is subservient to a pediment.
Casey, specialist in boring explanations

    Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the education. I was getting ready to go to a bookstore this weekend to try to get this figured out.

    Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 9:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™