How can this crown problem be fixed?

strayerdarbOctober 30, 2013

Earlier today I posted this on the kitchen forum and someone suggested I post it here.

Here is a picture of what the cabinet maker tacked up. I need to talk to him about it in the morning. I don't want it to stick out beyond the wall. How can this be fixed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strayerdarb

here is a wider shot

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:28PM
weedyacres

Crown has a profile with a fixed size, so for it to not extend beyond the cabinet, the cabinet would have to be smaller. Or you need to replace with something that has a smaller profile.

Or you could add a layer of drywall to the soffit to build it out to the edge of the crown.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 12:22PM
noodlesportland

OH Golly, I hope someone here can say something else but the last cabinet needs to be a bit more narrow so it ends where you what it to end (which is correct).
I did think of adding drywall but that means the entire wall across.
Who is responsible for the measuring?
Every house that is perfect has some such thing that only the owner knows--could this be yours???

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 12:12AM
Linelle

I see what's wrong and understand all the solutions, but honestly, I could live with this. I have a funny place where my kitchen crown ends at an opening into another room. They put a nice return on it, but it's still a bit odd. I know it's there, but in the big scheme of things, it's nothing to me.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:56AM
stocky

It's very hard to tell from the picture , but is there a filler strip and or piece of crown on the right side of the cabinet ?
There's a slight shadow that leads me to believe this might be the case .
If so , you might be able to remove the crown and filler strip and go flush to the taller cabinet . This might get you flush on the opposite side ....but it might leave the top cabinet slightly off centered to the cabinet below it .

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™