HELP! - got electrical shock touching stove chassis when off
I've got an older (1980s perhaps) Whirlpool electric stove. I just got shocked by it, touching the chassis. It was not on at the time.
I was standing over the stove, cracking open a pistachio nut, and dropped part of the shell on one of the burner coils. When I reached down to pick it up, I got a shock (the kind that feels like your arm is jiggling really fast, like when you're wiring a light switch and accidentally touch something you shouldn't).
So I grabbed my non-contact voltage sensor (one of those green-and-yellow ones that looks like a pen, which beeps and flashes a red light when brought near a live current), and sure enough it goes off anywhere within about 10 inches of the stove.
It's nothing obvious to me, like a frayed cord from a nearby appliance brushing against the stove.
What caused this, and how do I fix it? I don't have the money for even a used stove off of Craigslist, so I've got to be able to fix this thing.