ac-dc transformer question

blaster1492May 4, 2014

Hi all,
Electrical novice here. Trying to figure out my undercabinet lighting and having a technical issue...hoping someone might be able to help!
My wife and I want led rope lights ( to be run under the cabinets and wired directly to a dimmer switch. However, this is DC power, so usually it is run through an AC-DC transformer and then plugged into a normal wall switch. We don't want a wire and a plug to be there all the time. To be honest I didn't even think this would be an issue since I would think most people want their undercabinet lights on a switch.

Does anyone have any solutions so I can direct-wire these types of lights to a wall dimmer switch? Is there some other type of transformer that converts DC to AC without necessitating a plug?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Yes, there are hardwired transformers available. Just google "hardwired lighting transformers"

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Google WAC lighting.transformer.

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can do this a couple of different ways. 1. A regular lighting dimmer for your plug-in power supply (what you are calling a transformer) with a DC power cord going to your lights. 2. A DC dimmer (rheostat) mounted with the lights (could be hidden under the cabinets right next to the lights). A plug-in power supply may hum or buzz if not designed to be run at anything less than full power, however. A ceiling fan type dimmer could be used, but those are generally more expensive. The plug in power supply (a.k.a. wall wart) may also be unsightly, but could also be placed under the cabinets, requiring a receptacle in that location as well and then a requisite dimmer. If you already have a plug in power power supply and the lights hooked up, I would go with a rheostat and mount it under the cabinets where you could just reach under and give it a quick twist when you wanted to dim the lights or turn them completely off. Keep in mind, though, that the rheostat will be a power vampire whereas a traditional dimmer for the wall receptacle would reduce the power use or turn it completely off when the lights were not needed.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

120 volt receptacles are not to be placed on a dimmer.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 4:36PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
Where to find power connectors for the LED under cabinet lights?
I bought a set of the GE/Jasco LED under cabinet lights...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™