Landscape low voltage wiring heating up
I've got a section of my low voltage landscape wiring that was repaired years ago and is now spliced and connected via outdoor wire caps. The wires are big - the standard kind of outdoor low voltage - I'd guess 12-14 gauge. Periodically the wires seem to heat up very hot - too hot to touch and intermittently that portion of the lighting doesn't work. Can't figure it out - I've trimmed the wires and reconnected them and they work fine....for a while and the same thing happens.
When they are working there are no problems - all the lights work just fine. What could be the issue here? Thanks in advance.