adding stain or dye to waterlox finish

kashka_katOctober 7, 2005

instructions say i can add dye or stain to waterlox finish--

i want to darken my unfinished oak table to an antique dark oak color by adding a dye or stain to the 1st one or 2 coats. can anyone recommend a specific product to use??? I am not finding ANYTHING-- theres the premixed stains but it seems to me that if i use something like that diluted w/ water lox finish then its not going to be very dark. also many premixed stains have various other ingredients like polyurethanes or whatever that may interfere w/ putting layers of waterlox on over... so it seems to me i want to get some kind of pure unadulterated dye or tint... but what?

Help! my project is stalled until I can figure this out... its pretty frustrating, i've asked locally and they tell me just get the brand that THEY carry. Um, no, I already have this stuff.....

no response from emailing waterlox site. rockler has dyes but only for water or alcohol base.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Woodcraft stores have the dyes listed below which can be added to oil based finishes. The link is from the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trans Tint dyes from Woodcraft

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 1:57AM
corgilvr

I have not added stain or dye to Waterlox. I have used milk paint, mixed to a thinner consistency, as a "stain" under an oil finish. It did not impair the oil from absorbing and left a nice even finish on the wood. I did use Waterlox as a finish on my worst floor this summer and am thrilled with the result. The Waterlox will intensify the color of the oak and cause it to appear darker.

The people at our local Woodcraft are very helpful and informed about what they sell. It's worth a trip if there is one near to you.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 6:55AM
waltfromtroy

You need pigment not dye. Look for UTC universal tinting colorant. Just a little dab'll do ya.

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 9:26PM
tanders

Does anyone know if you can apply Waterlox over shellac? I love the depth and the ambering that shellac gives, but it needs to be waterproof and slip-resistant as we are finishing (4) oak stairs inside the entrance to our house that lead up to our kitchen and the stairs need to hold up to wet feet, etc. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Sponsored Products
Rectangular Frosted Glass Diffuser Rubber Wood Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Black-Hair Poof Pigtail Girl Personalized Plate
$16.99 | zulily
60" Casa Vieja Montego Rubbed White Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Luxe Tile Giclee Paley Black Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Quadrotto Black Bathroom Accessory Set
TheBathOutlet