Rough or Smooth Wood For Shed?

dee_can1October 16, 2007

IÂm in the process of having a wooden shed built. I have to decide between rough wood and smooth wood finish for the exterior. I said I wanted rough, but IÂm having second thoughts. My yard is quite shady, and IÂm worried about moisture/mold. Would I be better off getting a smooth finish? I have to decide now; so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goaliedad

what kind of wood is it? do you plan on painting or staining it? If paint- smooth, if stain, rough is fine if you want the look. I hope that they are using a rot resistant wood, like cedar- especially if you are leaving it natural. If you stain it, I would not worry about the mold/mildew issue.

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dee_can1

Hi goaliedad,

Thanks very much for your reply. I had checked a couple of times after I posted, but no one answered... and to be honest, I forgot about it after that.

Today was the day the shed went up. I opted for the rough wood after reading that itÂs better for absorbing stain. It is pine, and cut by the builder; so since it isnÂt rot resistant, I will be staining it, probably next year now. Would an oil-base stain be best? (The floor is rot-resistant wood, though.) Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™