Replacing windows sashe in winter

alex5600December 5, 2013

Hello,

My contractor is going to replace 10 windows sashes damaged by hail. Unfortunately, the schedule for the entire project slipped for 2 months, so the windows are ready to be installed only now. In Minnesota it is already about 0 degrees and snow. Do you see any problems with doing this work at these temperatures?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

Being across the border here in WI, we typically don't work if it is under 15 degrees or so. That is for window replacement, siding, etc where materials become brittle, caulks can have difficulty adhering properly, etc. That said, 1) that is just our preference, as there is no hard rule, and 2) if they are replacing sashes only and not doing any carpentry, caulking, etc, I'd have no qualms about doing that @ 0 degrees.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 3:09PM
alex5600

Thanks a lot.
The new sashes need to be stained to match color of the frame. Installer told me that they will do it after installation. I understand it can be done for the fixed panel, but what about casement windows. Don't they need to open them to stain all over and keep open until it dries out? How does it work in the winter.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:18AM
eastbay10

Because of your situation, I would ask that they stain them before they are installed. What could happen though is you may lose the opportunity to have them installed now and may have to wait further.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 6:25PM
HomeSealed

I'd also prefer them to be stained BEFORE installation. Then only touch-ups ---if anything---are needed after install. That is standard procedure in my area.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 4:56PM
alex5600

Thanks for the advices, this forum rocks!
Are there windows installers in Minneapolis area who could be interested in this project? I am really disappointed with my contractor and would like to work with another one
Thanks

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™