Opening shutters without moving furniture?

kaciiiDecember 1, 2010

I'm interested in getting Plantation shutters. Two of the windows are right beside my couch and end tables. Don't know that much about the shutters, but I do like to open windows daily. Would I have to move my couch and end tables every time I want to open sutters and windows???

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject. I am looking at inside mount sutters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amandm

My MIL had shutters that opened inside the window box, but she had pretty deep boxes, definitely deeper than the width of one panel of shutters. Perhaps you could measure your boxes and the distance (if any) between the window and the furniture, and then go try out some shutters in a showroom?

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 3:31PM
lithigin

Our old house in NC had lovely plantation shutters in the front room. Beautiful. Light-filled. Very irritating because we could only open the one that was not in front of furniture. Five were behind the couches, plus one on the corner was still blocked by the couch. I had to make do with just the louvers. We were on the south face, so it was tolerable, but a north face or a more northerly location, and I would have hate them.

Look into having a split put in halfway up so that you can open the top halves wide open and have the bottom halves blocked by furniture. A friend had this done in his dining room when his were installed and it was a terrific idea.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 6:41AM
allaboutshutters

I'm sure by this time you have resolve your issue with ordering plantation shutters. However, I will still answer for other viewers.

You said the furniture is right beside the windows. You can order shutters hinged so all the panels in the opening open to one side. Also, it may be wise to use a greater number of narrow panels which will reduce the space needed in front of the window to open the shutters.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Plantation Shutters

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™