GFI Breaker wiring

randy427May 25, 2010

I'm having an electrician swap out my FedPac panel for a GE(commercial, 3 phase instalation). In doing so, he didn't notice that two GFCI breakers were connected to the same 12-3 cable until he was installing the breakers and came up one neutral short. I thought it was impossible, but they worked before though we can't figure out how with a common neutral. The only thing I can think of, is when some previous owner went from a standard breakers to GFCIs, he ran a bootleg neutral for the second circuit.

We'll be trying to chase this down tomorrow. Does anyone have any other ideas what we could be looking for?

TIA

R3

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It's also possible that it didn't work before with loads plugged into both sides of thw MWBC or whatever you've got here.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 6:31AM
groundrod

You could be looking for a two pole GFCI breaker.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 6:31AM
randy427

Thanks for your replys.
They both worked fine before, including the Press-To-Test function. They are lighting circuits that were always used at the same time.
The original breakers were single poles and wired with type NM cable.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 7:34AM
joed

Is your three phase a delta or Y setup? Delta setup has some odd things happen with the neutral. You have to really know what you are doing. I don't don't know enough to be of more assistance than to to say you need an expert.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 8:18AM
randy427

Thanks for your comments.
It's a standard Y configuration as most of the equipment is 120v. After a couple hours of tracing cables, we found the bootleg common that I suspected was there. I may be a lifetime DIYer, but I don't think I'm quite as clueless as the clown that did this one.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:45PM
groundrod

Mr.Clue, does this mean that you have purchased and installed the required two pole gfci breaker?

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 7:23AM
randy427

Not applicable.
What we had to do was to have the hot and neutral in the same cable rather than the hot in one 12/3 cable and the neutral 'bootlegged' in another 12/2 cable (where the black was not used).

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™