Installation issues? Help/advice!

rachmaninickDecember 14, 2013

We recently had a new front window installed -- two casement windows with cranks and one picture window, good quality, Himark.

There were install issues and I am wondering if this is normal or not. The crew managed to place a large crack in our drywall near the new window (they patched it with spackle, not a great job though), the caulking job is good on the outside but not careful on the inside around the new trim and not good with the nail holes in the trim, and they left us with a screen with a fairly large hole.

It is a high quality window -- Himark -- and the install company has good reviews online in several places.

Are these issues normal with window installation or is this grounds for speaking with the company? This is my first replacement window so I wanted to ask the forum first. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorproz

That is an inherent issue with sheetrock returns , drywall can crack which requires spackle. We spackle but ask the customer to paint .
The hole in the screen could easily repaired.
As far as nail holes, usually when we install new trim, we use primed trim and customers paints. Usually the painter will puddy the nail holes.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 8:53AM
mmarse1

I agree with doorproz, sheetrock returns can be problematic and we also spackle and have homeowner paint as well as cover nail holes. Painters usually take care of any nail holes.
A hole in the screen happens, has absolutely nothing to do with the install. Sounds like they did a good job though aside from a few minor blips which happens.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:06AM
rachmaninick

Thank you both for the quick and honest responses. Glad to hear these issues are normal and the install was a good one.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 9:41AM
HomeSealed

I agree with the above. Any time we have to patch Sheetrock or plaster, we apply 1 coat and then the homeowner ( or painting contractor) is responsible for the finishing, including a finish coat, sanding, painting, texture, etc. This is standard in the industry unless you have it detailed differently in your contract.
Those drywall returns can definitely be problematic due to the fact that they are often exposed to moisture and cold air from your old windows.
Screen is no biggie, just ask for them to fix it.
Overall, these are small and common issues. I'd definitely follow up with your install company though if you need further clarification and to get the screen fixed.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Sponsored Products
Lacy 36" LED Snowflake Pure White Mot143
EnvironmentalLights.com
60" Industrial Ceiling Fan by Emerson Fans
$179.00 | Lumens
Blue, Anthracite and Transparent Thermoplastic Resins Square Soap Dispenser
TheBathOutlet
Metalarte | Panama Pe Outdoor Light
YLighting
Bistro Stool
$159.99 | Dot & Bo