West facing entry door: ThermaTru vs PlastPro

ar3045December 19, 2013

All,
I have been a lurker for years now. We are in the middle of a full remodel and addition currently and could use some help now.

Need to purchase the entry door for our house now. I need a regular door with two sidelights, 6'8" tall.

I did some reading here and elsewhere and decided to go with ThermaTru (cannot afford a Provia). I started calling vendors and asking for quotes and one of my trusted window stores recommended PlastPro. They are telling me that PlastPro is completely fiberglass where as ThermaTru has some wood components (jambs and stuff) so more susceptible to rot and termites.

The house we are remodeling does have subterranean termites and we will be treating them before moving in. This is a west facing door and will get significant sunlight. That is the major reason behind our decision to go for a fiber glass door.

I cannot determine if ThermaTru doors have wood in them and how bad that would be. I need to order the door this week and could use all the help I could get.

Thanks in advance,

This post was edited by ar3045 on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 3:42

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

If you are counting on the door not having any wood in it and that being the barrier to the termites, we are in trouble regardless.

The ThermaTru door is okay.

Do you have HomeGuard where you are? They have one of the nicest fiberglass doors out there that I have ever seen.

The potential for termites needs to be handled via flashing and weatherization details at the sill.

Be sure to have a continuous and inorganic sill pan detail in the installation.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:26AM
HomeSealed

Good advice above, although I'd add that with their Timberframe option, Homeguard does offer a fully rot-proof door with no wood at all.
Plastpro makes a nice slab that is used by some other manufacturers, I can't comment however on the quality of their assembly and finishing of a full unit (including frame, staining, etc).
Thermatru's Classic Craft is solid. I believe that all of their products do have some wood in them however.
That said, I agree with WOW regarding termite control. The entire frame of your home is wood (most likely), so a little bit of wood in the door is not the biggest worry.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 10:16AM
Karateguy

I have had nothing but problems with Thermatru doors. Poor quality control in my experience.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 12:23PM
ar3045

WOW, HomeSealed,
Now that you mention it, yes we have tons of wood already. So, this does not make a huge difference. I will talk to the contractor about weatherization and stuff.

Homeguard does not seem to have much presence here, according to google at least. I am in the SF Bay Area. I thought everyone has a presence here. Guess I was wrong.

Karateguy,
Are you still using the Thermatru door? Did you replace it with something else?
Would love to know more about this.

Thanks

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
mmarse1

Agree, i also do NOT like thermaTru. Provia, hmi , and homeguard make the best doors.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Sponsored Products
Woodstock Asli Arts 19 Inch Dark Blue Moon and Star Capiz Wind Chime - C206
$20.40 | Hayneedle
Valhalla Designer Series Black 2-Door Nightstand
Overstock.com
Vista Montaire Oil Rubbed Bronze with Gold Highlights One-Light Outdoor Wall Mou
$115.90 | Bellacor
Jamestown Knob Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
Kurt Adler 12-inch Santa Workshop Musical Advent Calender
Overstock.com
Small Solid Brass Rim Latch Set with Black Porcelain Knobs
Signature Hardware
Primetime Petz 360 Configurable Gate with Door 30 in. - Walnut - 33232
$114.99 | Hayneedle
Rev-A-Shelf Trash Receptacles Premiere 50-quart White Waste Container
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: