Outdoor GFCI outlet on laundry room circuit

matt_mMay 12, 2008

I'm wiring my laundry room, and my wiring plan has 6 outlet receptacles on it (washer and dryer are both on different, dedicated circuits). I have an outdoor outlet that would fit very well into the number 4 position in the wiring scheme. Since all of my outlets in there will be GFIed off the first outlet, is it okay to incorporate an outside receptacle in that circuit? I've heard some people say that an outside GFCI should be on its own circuit, but heck, that eats up one whole slot in my sub panel just for one little ol' outlet.

Oh, and as an aside, I just about gagged when I found out I had to take back my little regular 20 amp breaker ($6.00 or $7.00) and get a 20 amp AFCI for my new family room ($35.00) per NEC 2008. I may even need two of those expensive bad boys, since I like running my lights and receptacles on their own circuits (9 lights and 12 outlets -- figure that's just too many for one circuit, and I'm a firm believer in overkill). Geez Louise.

Anyhow, thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjdabomb70

Nah, you are cool using a regular outlet outside if it is on the end of a GFCI branch. The GFCI upstream protects everything downstream.

Yup, those AFCI's aren't given away.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 12:32AM
tjdabomb70

Nah, you are cool using a regular outlet outside if it is on the end of a GFCI branch. The GFCI upstream protects everything downstream.

Yup, those AFCI's aren't given away.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 8:32PM
Ron Natalie

You can't put non-laundry room outlets on the laundry room circuit. Not permitted.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 1:28PM
matt_m

Does that apply to lighting, as well? I was going to run my family room lights (with the AFCI breaker) on the same circuit as the 2 or 3 can lights in my laundry room.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 8:28PM
brickeyee

The normal installation is a duplex receptacle on a dedicated 20 A circuit for the laundry room.
Lighting is not on this circuit.
The lighting in a laundry room can be on any regular lighting circuit.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 9:22PM
Ron Natalie

The 20A circuit feeds the laundry receptacles and no other outlets (that includes lighting in the laundry room or elsewhere).

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 2:18PM
matt_m

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on putting the washing machine on its own 20 amp circuit, the rest of the receptacles (except dryer) on a different 20 amp circuit (and GFI them), the lights will be on the same circuit as the adjoining family room, and the outdoor outlets (I'm adding a second one) will have their own circuit (and be on GFI). It's a little more wire and a $6.00 breaker -- no big deal. Again, thanks for all the help.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 12:19AM
normel

The GFCI protection for the washer and dryer are not necessary unless they are within six feet of a laundry sink.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 8:38AM
matt_m

Thanks, normel. Do you mean 6 feet from the edge of the sink to the actual washer and dryer outlets, or 6 feet from the edge of the sink to the washer and dryer themselves?

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 2:17PM
normel

Six feet from the edge of the sink to the receptacle.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™