what type of window track needs to be pushed in to remove window

growingadviceNovember 11, 2011


I live in a home built 20 years ago. I have double hung wood windows whose sash/track? is this plastic aluminum material which seems to be spring loaded. It looks like what you do is press the sash in, and you can remove the window.

The problem is that I dont want to try it, and break something bc I was doing it wrong.

I've been trying to find a video on removing/replacing such a window, however i have been unsuccessful.

am I using the right term?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Some wood windows are designed that way. The track on one side has springs in it to "tighten" up the sashes. You are right on pushing the track in and the sash will release. Becarefull as there are springs attached to the sash as well and you will need to detach them to remove the sash.

The plastic may be brittle, so just be carefull about that.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you need to replace them they would be different for each window manufacturer but they were commonly call a "compression jamb liner".

    Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 11:13AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
What size windows - 12' Great Room Ceiling
I found this great room picture, and am looking to...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™