Door adhesive?

joaniepoanieOctober 28, 2012

Is it possible to "glue" 2 doors together to make one large barn style sliding door? I want to use glass insert doors special ordered from Lowes. If so, what would be the best adhesive to use? Thank you for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Depends on what material the doors are made of.

Some fasteners might still be a good idea.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 4:47PM
lazy_gardens

Get a doweling jig, and use dowels and wood glue. Also make sure you clam the doors straight and flat while the glue dries.

Putting a couple of pockethole screws in from the top and bottom would also help

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 10:48AM
HandyMac

Can that be done? Yes.

Should it be done? I doubt it.

The reality of modern adhesives is the glued joint is often stronger than the rest of the material. Use modern wood glue does that. A joint is glued properly and that joint will not break---but the wood near the joint will break if the stress point it reached.

Glue the joint improperly and it will fail quickly.

A properly glued joint has to be clamped and the two edges have to be exactly level to each other.

Edge gluing two doors together would require 20 or clamps(pipe clamps probably) and cauls(mechanisms to level the door surfaces) to keep the two doors on plane.

If you need to buy those clamps, figure on $12 to $16 a set of clamp fixtures and 20 pieces of pipe(threaded on one end) that are at least 8' long(10' might be better).

Prepping the two edges will take a very skilled hand tool craftsman or a rather expensive power tool.

All together, it will probably be better(and maybe less expensive to have a door made to order.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™