Wood & Formica Dresser...Need help please!

thegokeesOctober 29, 2008

I'm glad I ran into this site. I really need help. I bought a dresser for cheap at a garage sale. I didn't realize I was in over my head after I have been trying to rebuild it basically. I have gotten it to become a great sturdy dresser but it is...

UGLY

It has a white formica top and the rest is an wood painted black. I would love to put some wood laminate on it but I do not know how, if it can go over formica and if it is pricey. My budget is low. I have even heard that you can use contact paper that looks like wood...Does anyone have any advice on how to give it a laminate wood look to it? I would just stain it but the wood used is crappy. I think it's plywood not sure but it defiantly is not stain quality.

If this is impossible to achieve then does anyone have advice on a good paint that will give the dresser a nice look to it...with out being too flat yet too shiny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

It's difficult to get traction on this question. It's not really clear what you've got to work with (no pictures, vague description) and it's not clear what you want to achieve. I have no idea what "with out being too flat yet too shiny" means. If you want to have a go at this, post some pictures.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™