How to darken pine after it's been polyurethaned

marytwitOctober 10, 2009

I hired a young carpenter to make some pine cabinet doors for the kitchen of my circa 1950s cabin, sand and refinish some counter and floor areas in the kitchen, and cover a couple of areas of unfinished interior walls with pine because the wood was waterstained and looked unsightly.

I very foolishly failed to tell him that I wanted the new pine additions to approximate the color of the existing pine in the kitchen. Given the nature of the project as I'd explained it to him, which was principally to make things look better -- I assumed he'd know that. My error.

And then I went on a trip.

Before I returned, he did the work, and finishing all the new and newly-sanded pine with a wipe-on polyurethane. Since the rest of the pine in the room is up to 60 years old, the new wood looks glaringly pale.

I really want to bring the new work closer to the color of the surrounding wood. So my question is this: does it all need to be sanded down and then stained and refinished, or is this something that could be a good project for something like Polyshade, in the hands of an experienced finish carpenter? I know a lot of people have had bad results with Polyshade, but I'm hoping this may be one of those times when using Polyshade is a good compromise, since, as you can see from the attached photos, this is such a casual place.

Here is a link that might be useful: white pine additions to kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I love your piney woodsey cabin!! Very like one my DHa nd I spent many happy times at...belonged to a relative who sold it without even giving su a chance to bid on it!
If that were mine, I would wait a month or 2 for all the stuff in the poly to evaporate, then coat it with a coat or more of orange or garnet shellac...whatever will give you the color you want.
Then perhaps apply another coat of poly, as the new stiff in in the kitchen.
I don't know about poly shades....but what I suggested is easily wiped off with thinner if you don't like it.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 3:50PM
brickeyee

It is very hard to get anything approaching a uniform color over larger areas with polyshades.

It requires repeated stirring and mixing to keep the pigment in suspension during application, but you have to not stir to vigorously or you will end up with bubbles in the finish coat.

Coloring separately from the finish coat is actually easier to do, and easier to reverse or alter before applying the finish coats.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 11:09AM
marytwit

Just wanted to share the advice I got from the folks at General Finishes: they told me that I can mix one of their colors with their polyurethane and it should work. That's what I'm going to try, though it won't be until next spring that I can do it.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 6:51AM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Sponsored Products
Kartell | One More Stool
$450.00 | YLighting
Noelle Rug 9'6" x 13'
$3,199.00 | Horchow
Versailles Center Wrapped Pull with Long Backplate
Signature Hardware
White Cubby Shoe Bench
$49.99 | zulily
Milan Flushmount by Eurofase
$70.00 | Lumens