chair rail /moulding - follow-up

bronxbillOctober 17, 2009

Hi everyone: Ok I removed the bottom chair rail -came off real easy because it was already removed once before as I stated above. Now I have removed all the wallpaper border but some of the backing is still there not much /tried everything - I am going to put a new wallpaper border back up then replace the bottom chair rail and the new border will now fit.

(without the backing/residue)I can use just plain water on the border the way it was made to do. But because of the backing/residue still on the wall I will have to use additional paste.

My question is what if I paint over the leftover backing etc. after of course a slight sanding to make it smooth -Will I now be able to use just the water to make the bond? Or should I use the paste to be sure?

Thanks Much

Bill

PS: I'll repost as new because of the time that went by (don't know which is the correct way to a follow up when time as passed).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"don't know which is the correct way to a follow up when time as passed"

Find the old message and reply to it.

If the system bumps you for having already replied, change the title of the new reply slightly.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronxbill

Thanks brickeyee: for your reply below on first post I will look into the brad nailer compressor - do they also have a tool to maybe clip off the nails that are still attached to the moulding (dont want to hacksaw them off or knock them back through the top side) for fear of ruining the wood completely.
Thanks again
Bill

(Rent a brad nailer and compressor to put the molding back up.
They work much better than hand nailing ever did.
Fewer splits, uniform depth, no nail set (they countersink when they drive the nail).
I use a Paslode butane one for trim all the time.)

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™