Where do you get a birdbath to mosaic?

phish_gwNovember 15, 2010

I've seen some people on this forum have made a birdbath out of cement and then mosaiced it. I'd like to mosaic one but making it myself sounds too high-tech for me. Is there anywhere you can buy them (reasonably priced)? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

I am making one that is definitely not high-tech. I am not sure where you would buy one reasonably priced. At the plant nursery I frequent, they are pricey. Maybe Lowes or Home Depot might put them on sale now that it is winter? Click on my link below to see my cobbled together birdbath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 8:34AM
kraftkrazy

you might also try terracotta pots glued together for the bottom with the large saucer upright on top for the birdbath part and just mosaic the whole thing...or if you have a place that sells concrete statues and fountains,,they usually have some

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 9:05PM
kraftkrazy

heres a link that shows some

Here is a link that might be useful: birdbath

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 9:13PM
phish_gw

do look pretty easy. I think I could handle one of those. Now does anyone know a particularly cheap place to buy pots?

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 1:29PM
concretenprimroses

Just another thought: I made a concrete table using a plastic birdbath as a mold. You could just pour concrete into the stem of a plastic birdbath to make a concrete birdbath stem then put a big plant saucer or shallow bowl on top of it.
Below is a link to my blog post about it. I may mosaic it someday.
Cheap pots? Yard sales.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdbath mold

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 11:10PM
Louisiana_greetings

if u look around your shed or yard u can find all kinds of objects to use for making B-baths i have some pics in my webshots albums of different objects i have used.
Silvamae u have some great mosaics. the plastic B bath from the $ store works well
bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: webshots

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 9:12PM
irisart

freecycle.org is a great resource for finding items to mosaic and even for tesserae. You can post a "WANTED" and also keep a look our for "OFFER" I got a bird bath from freecycle and also found a bottom at a yard sale for $1....it should be easy to find something for a top. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 4:18PM
loribee2

My mother gave me a plant stand. One of those painted iron ones that you put a single pot on top. My plan is to buy a terra cotta saucer as the top, mosaic it and use the plant stand as the base. You can find those at yard sales and thrift stores really cheap.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 12:17PM
silvamae

Keep an eye open for large shallow bowls at thrift stores or garage sales. Put the base together from large old vases or a combination of flower pots and vases. Use thinset as the adhesive to hold everything together. I have found beautiful large bowls at garage sales for a dollar. The link shows a glass totem I glued together but I could have put a bowl on top for a birdbath ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieces of a glass totem

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™