Is it good to use plywood for doors?

kaza99October 21, 2012

Our carpenter says plywood doors for wardrobes bend and often the screws become loose. Which is the good wood to use for wardrobe doors for external fitting?

Also which are the best brand hinges and slides to use for fitting doors and drawers? Could some one suggest? I couldnt get good reviews for good hinges and slides on net.

Could someone please suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

If you have excellent material (very stable, flat plywood) it's possible to make cabinet doors with it. There is a point at which the size is too great to use plywood; it would be advisable to use frame & panel doors. You see the warp in plywood is exacerbated by the increasing size of the door. You could certainly have veneered lumber-core doors built, or possibly veneered MDF, but with a heavy MDF door (weighs a good bit more than lumber) combined with its inherent screw-holding weakness becomes another obstacle which lumber core doesn't suffer from.
Casey

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:16PM
sombreuil_mongrel

If you have excellent material (very stable, flat plywood) it's possible to make cabinet doors with it. There is a point at which the size is too great to use plywood; it would be advisable to use frame & panel doors. You see the warp in plywood is exacerbated by the increasing size of the door. You could certainly have veneered lumber-core doors built, or possibly veneered MDF, but with a heavy MDF door (weighs a good bit more than lumber) combined with its inherent screw-holding weakness becomes another obstacle which lumber core doesn't suffer from.
Casey

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:17PM
kaza99

Thanks a lot sombreuil!!

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 5:34AM
More Discussions
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™