Outlet won't work

dirtman1972May 13, 2008

I have an electrical outlet that will not work. I have plugged in both items on this outlet to another outlet, they still work. In removing the outlet to try and determine the problem, I got a nice little jolt so there is still power coming to the outlet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave_mn

Buy a new outlet and have someone else install it.
Sorry, I couldnt resist. Are connections tight? Neutral connected?

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 9:27PM
dirtman1972

Funny you say that. I opened it up, and put on a new outlet. All connections; hot, neutral, and ground connected tight.

Asked my neighbor for any ideas. He came over, reconnected to top screws (I had them on bottom set). No change.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 9:37PM
randy427

Getting a jolt does not mean that it is 120 volts.
An inexpensive volt meter could tell you the voltage hot-to-neutral, hot-to-ground and neutral-to-ground (this last one should be zero).
I would also go to the next device upstream from this outlet to see if there is a bad connection there.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:34PM
joefixit2

If the outlet doesn't work but you got a jolt you have an open neutral. The white wire has come loose at an upstream outlet. You shouldn't be working with the power on, it could kill you.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:47PM
tjdabomb70

Get a cheapo outlet tester:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electrical-Receptacle-Wall-Plug-AC-Outlet-Ground-Tester_W0QQitemZ370049901462QQihZ024QQcategoryZ42291QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This will tell you exactly what is wrong, and, you won't get a cheap perm at the same time.

lol

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:35AM
joed

You have an open connection in another receptcale, light switch, or light fixture, etc. that is on the same circuit. It could even be in a working device.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:21AM
dirtman1972

OK. Here is what I found out tonight. I bought a multi-meter. I disconnected the outlet and tested the bare wires. Hot to neutral tested 120-125. Hot to ground tested 120-125. I reconnected the outlet. Same results as above. I plugged something in, it came on. I unplugged it and replugged it and it would not come on. I retested the outlet. Hot to ground tested 120-125. Hot to neutral tested only about 25.

Are we still going with an open neutral?

Here's the thing. It is for my washing machine. I still have not found anything upstream on this outlet.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:04PM
joed

You have a bad connection on the neutral somewhere on the circuit. Could be in any device working or not on the circuit. Could even be in the main panel if the entire circuit is dead.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:09PM
lonesparky95

Laundry circuit should be home-run (ie, no other outlet to panel), and who knows, yours might be. Sounds like it, and I feel you should always begin in the main panel, and work your way out. Call me crazy.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 1:33AM
dirtman1972

Thanks for all of the input. It appears that it was a loose neutral in the breaker box. I went through and tightened them all and found a couple that I could turn more than once. Everything is fine so far. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™