window beading or moulding replacement?

RetiredFloridaNovember 10, 2012

I have a home that was built in 1994. It has aluminum windows. Over my double entry doorway is a smaller, arched, stained glass window. On the exterior, the "bead" of soft vinyl has gotten really ugly and since I was painting the house again, I felt as though this really needs to be replaced. Actually, there are two, another window in front of our home has an arched window with the top "bead" or exterior moulding that has need replacing.

Sorry I may not be using the correct terms. Anyone take a guess what I need to use to replace these "vinyl"/"rubber" strips? Where can they be purchased and can I do it without too much trouble?

I've just spent a couple of hours googling beading and moulding but really am not sure what I'm looking at. I'd call the company that installed these windows but they have since gone out of business.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The vinyl bead that you speak of was commonly used on archtop aluminum windows. The trick, however, is that there are different thicknesses. There are still companies manufacturing aluminum windows (depending where you live) so your fail safe solution is to cut a small piece off once you find a supplier and bring it with you to match.
A picture would also help. It might be that the vinyl bead has only come loose and may need to be siliconed back into place. Good luck!

    Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks so much for the reply eastbay. I'm in Tarpon Springs, FL. I had this thought late last night after I spent a good portion of the day painting. Thus, no pics.

My biggest concern was of course my stained glass entryway but since you mention getting a small piece, I realised that the "other" window had a loose piece. I removed it so I could photograph it and to use as a sample.

First photo is the bead
2nd is the window I took the bead off
3rd is the stained glass window I also want to replace.

Where would I find a replacement, home depot, lowe's or do I have to go to a window manufacturer? I have to use silicone to secure this or does it just pop in?



    Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Image 2

    Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Image 3

    Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I doubt either HD or Lowe's will be able to help you. I would go on line and look for an aluminum window company that manufactures round top windows. Send the picture of the bead profile to them for identification. If they don't have it, ask for the name of their supplier. It may take some footwork but you should be able to track something down that will work.

As to how it is applied, it should just push in if it is the right size. You may need to silicon it if not. Good luck!

    Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 5:47PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Hunter Douglas Roller Shades Not Staying Down
We have a bunch of new Hunter Douglas Roller Shade...
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
Sponsored Products
Chooty and Co Just the Facts D-Fiber Pillow - Brick Multicolor - CS17K412
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Memoir Antique Curtain Panel - 108" x 20"
$607.50 | FRONTGATE
Velvet Tufted Storage Bench and Settee
Each 42"W x 96"L Smocked Linen Curtain
$280.00 | Horchow
Design Your Valance Chevron 2-Panel
Blue Star Group Dining Furniture TERRACE MATES Daniella 5-Piece Coffee Patio
Home Depot
Soccer Ball 28-inch to 48-inch Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
Mocha Jacquard Blackout Panel - Set of Two
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™