Need advice/suggestion for a motorized outdoor solar shade/screen

court623November 27, 2012

We have very high arched windows that have always let in beautiful light to our great room, however, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, we lost our biggest shade trees and now the whole room gets direct sunlight most of the day making it unbearable to sit virtually anywhere in the room.

The room doesn't really warrant window treatments and because the windows don't have a standard arch, I'm really stuck. I was looking at the Sunsetter Motorized solar shade through Costco but it only comes with a 12' plug-in cord https://www.sunsetterflagpole.com/costconew/costco_easyshade.asp. That wire wouldn't be long enough and I really want something hard-wired (plug in just doesn't seem like the right thing to use on a permanent outdoor shade). I called them and they don't offer a hard-wired option, and, they also say that you void any warranty if you hardwire it.

The idea of the Sunsetter shade works for me. We could install the shade on the exterior of the house where no one would see it, but we could operate it via remote from inside. It would filter the sunlight and give us our great room back.

Does anyone know of any other shade company like this or have any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I haven't used any of them but Costco does seem to do a decent job of vetting some of their contractors so that is a good starting point.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellessebee

I'm wondering about the same shades - I need a solar screen but don't want to introduce PVC inside the house - already too many toxic chemicals in the cocktail we breath. I love the idea of catching the heat before it penetrates the glass. Does anyone have any experience with these outdoor shades? Do they blow around in the wind? Are they easy to operate? How much of the view do they obscure? Do they work? I also read someplace that they can only be all-up or all-down, no inbetween settings. Is this true? Can't have the shade only half-closed? Thanks.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Sponsored Products
SLV Lighting | Kyklop Pole Outdoor Bollard
$396.00 | YLighting
Safavieh Poolside Green/Beige Indoor/Outdoor Polypropylene Rug (8' x 11'2")
Overstock.com
Portable Ice Maker
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
La Marie Chair by Kartell
$370.00 | Lumens
A & L Furniture Western Red Cedar Traditional English Porch Swing - 402C-UNFINIS
$228.98 | Hayneedle
Hancock Small Outdoor Wall Mount
$89.90 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™