Best way to splice (or avoid splicing) multiple wires

dave11May 14, 2010

I'm in the process of sketching out a new electrical supply for my garage, using EMT as a raceway. 750 SF, so I need at least 6 fluoro fixtures, 6 receptacles, two 3-way switches, etc. I got the design reduced to the fewest number of splices and boxes, but now as I'm drawing out the actual wiring, I see there is a six-way splice for the neutrals in the first j-box, because all the legs emanate from this point. The required volume of this box, based on number and type of conductors, is 80 cubic inches, including clamps, per NEC.

After looking online, I've seen that some folks will splice that many wires together with a properly-sized wire nut, but that makes me skittish. Is a terminal/junction block the way to go here?

If so, I would assume its meant to be secured to the bottom of the j-box? I've just never had a reason to use one before.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Personally, I wouldn't try to put that much wiring in one box. You may have figured out the fewest number of splices, but not necessarily the highest quality ones. Instead of having everything emanating from that first octopus box, figure out a better layout so that the wiring and splices are distributed around, and you have a better balance.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 12:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

That is going to be a real mess of a JB.

Better to spread everything out.

Run the wiring from fixture to fixture.

A correctly made junction is not going to fail in your lifetime (and often much longer).

Even a simple wire nut is a gas tight connection.
The spring metal inside the wire nut is square in cross section.
It actually cuts into the conductors as it is tightened and makes a gas tight connection among the conductors.

You can remove a wire nut after years and see the bright copper surface in the conductors (You have to unwind the spring not unscrew it to avoid 'cleaning' the joint during disassembly).

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™