one light fixture bulb burns out after 1 month, why?

abbey_cnyMay 16, 2010

Not sure this is a problem, but thought I would ask here, I recently had a an outside light which was over the middle of my garage door removed, and replaced with two lights, one on on either side of the door. The light bulb on one of the lights keeps burning out after a month. I buy the rough service bulbs but that doesn't seem to help. I had an electrician check the wiring, he said everything appeared ok, but it bothers me that it keeps happening, and only to that one side. The bulb on the other side has lasted about 3 months before it had to be replaced. So while the bulbs aren't lasting as long as I think they should be, this one bulb appears to be a problem. If the wiring isn't a problem, any opinions on what it might be? Should I try to buy more expensive bulbs> These bulbs are hanging in the upside down position, would that be decreasing life, and if so, why one bulb and not the other? ANy opinions welcome. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Vibration is a fast killer of incandescent bulbs.

Is the one blowing on a more exposed corner?

There are coated bulbs for 'rough service' and other bulbs that contain better filament support.
The coated bulbs are not designed for vibration, but breakage of the glass.

Try a ceiling fan type bulb.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:06PM
dim4fun

Verfiy that the lamp is really burned out. The fixture socket may be the problem. Sometimes the center contact point is deformed and not making good contact.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:20PM
abbey_cny

It is on an outside corner so perhaps the greater exposure is the problem. Would a ceiling fan type of bulb be suitable for outside use? I will also try the latest burned out bulb in another fixture to see what happens. Thanks very much to both of you for your suggestions.

Abbey

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 8:33PM
DavidR

If you don't have them on a dimmer, photo control, or electronic timer switch, replace them with compact fluorescents. CFs withstand vibration and physical shock much better.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 1:11AM
brickeyee

"If you don't have them on a dimmer, photo control, or electronic timer switch, replace them with compact fluorescents. CFs withstand vibration and physical shock much better."

Depending on your location the CFLs may have problems with cold weather.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™