GFCI's show reverse polarity but appear to be wired correctly

dan1980May 12, 2010

Have an older home with gfci's that show reverse polarity. They appear to be wired correctly, hot on hot line, white on white line. I ran a separate wire directly back to the neutral of the panel and connected this to the line side neutral. checking voltage with a tester trips the gfci with the separate neutral connected but does not trip with the neutral in the box connected. I am puzzled by this and can't seem to figure it out. I have talked with a few electricians and they don't know. Has anyone had a similar situation? This house has had some "do-it-yourself" wiring done before by someone who did not know what they were doing so it may be a problem hidden behind a wall. I have opened other boxes and can't find anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groundrod

If no ground wire is connected to the receptacle the testor has no reference to determine the grounded conductor and may give a false reading.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"I ran a separate wire directly back to the neutral of the panel and connected this to the line side neutral. checking voltage with a tester trips the gfci with the separate neutral connected but does not trip with the neutral in the box connected."

Did you connect eh seperate loine to the GFCI neutral or ground?

GFCI testers bleed current to ground to trip the GFCI.

Putting current to teh neutral would not trip them.

GFCIs on two wire circuits are an acceptable way to upgrade protection.

They are supposed to be marked 'No equipment ground' with the stickers that come with every GFCI receptacle.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™