Tell me your Fleetwood or Milgard aluminum experiences.

Gina_WNovember 2, 2012

I've decided that I want to use aluminum windows to replace the old aluminum ones in my mid-century modern home.

The previous homeowner replaced a couple of sliding doors with vinyl, and I am just not on board with that look for this house.

I also have a modern condo and recently all the old aluminum windows in the entire complex were redone with new bronze/black aluminum by Milgard. So that's the direction I want to go in this home as well. I am not all that happy with the weep holes in the new condo windows. After a rain last summer, my tenant complained about water in all the sills. One window had a leak, so I had Milgard come out and they fixed that one, and drilled the weep holes a bit larger on the other ones.

I was researching brands and came across Fleetwood. They look $$$ but they state on their site that they have a "budget" line.

Do any of you have experiences with thin, modern-look aluminum windows of either brand? I'm in Southern California if it makes any difference. Fleetwood's Corona location is about an hour from me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffpad

Milgard aluminum is almost a 'black' color here in S. Cal. Milgard will only come with the weep hole feature. In a rain storm with strong winds, water in the tracks of the windows can happen. FleetWood is considered a 'elite' product and is $$$ as you mentioned. I do not know of their budget line at all. Contact the factory and they should direct you to a dealer.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:25PM
wws944

We did our MCM house in Milgard aluminum a few years ago. If you search this forum, you can find my review of them. We still like them, but I still wish Milgard offered their 'thermally broken' version in California.

We looked at Fleetwood (very nice, but as you say, $$$) and also Blomberg (made in Sacramento, very nice, but also $$$).

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:20PM
ChrisInSD

I know this thread is ancient, but does anyone have updates on the Milgard performance? We chose Milgard over some cheaper Jeld-Wen and others when the budget buckled under the pressure of Fleetwood and similar bids.

My house is also a mid-century ranch and I am ripping out some architecturally inappropriate (though more efficient) vinyl windows and replacing some original aluminum. In SoCal so climate not a big issue.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 7:08PM
ChrisInSD

any comments on their sliders appreciated as well.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 7:09PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I have some Milgard Aluminum single hungs and a few 3-Lite sliders that are doing okay.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Villa 9-Piece Storage Ottoman - LCM004COTBR
$476.98 | Hayneedle
Chinoiserie Long Pillow by DwellStudio
$44.99 | Lumens
Diamond Turkish Cotton Bath Sheet
Grandin Road
Modern Ash Wood Rocker in Fuchsia
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
4-Pc. Garden Party Sofa Set
| Dot & Bo
Furniture of America Riona Tempered Glass Curved End Table - Black - IDF-4645E
$270.91 | Hayneedle
Monarch Specialties I 1817 5 Piece Modern Oak Veneer Rectangular Dining Room Set
Beyond Stores
Dura-Trel Cottage 5.5-ft. White Vinyl Wall Trellis - DU116
$179.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™