Electrical wiring clearance

brintMay 29, 2010

I'm trying to determine whether I can run an existing wire over a new parallam beam. We are installing the beam to support overspaned floor joists below the living room of our 1908 house. Weyerhaeuser's iLevel specifications say that no holes may be drilled in a parallam that has a point load -- this beam will be inspected along with other permitted renovation in our home. There is a 3/4' space above the beam then 3/4" underlayment, 3/4" fir strip flooring, then oak strip flooring over that. This depth exceeds the NEC requirement, but is running a wire here allowed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You can fish the wire over the beam. I'm not sure what NEC requirement you're talking about.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 6:00PM
brint

I'm talking about the 1-1/4" bore hole clearance from a framing member surface to help prevent nails and screws from penetrating the wire. The floor above the beam is almost 1-1/2" of wood, but does this satisfy the no conduit or no cover plate needed distance?

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 7:14PM
brickeyee

Is 1-1/2 larger than 1-1/4?

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 1:02PM
brickeyee

The actual clearance is from the face of the member and ONLY applies to cables running in bored holes, it is NOT a general clearance requirement.

If you have a gap between the top of the new beam you can run a cable in through the gap as long as you can fit the cable into the gap without tearing up the outside jacket.

A loose cable tends to move if hit by a nail or screw, unlike one in a tight bored hole that cannot move.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 1:07PM
brint

Thanks for the clarification Brickeyee.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™