How do I remove glass from window

lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PASeptember 17, 2010

I have an old window with a wooden frame that I'd like to remove the glass from, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it the easiest way. Obviously I need to wear some heavy-duty gloves, eyewear, etc. I read one time where someone put it in a garbage bag and then took a hammer to it so the pieces fell inside the bag. Or does someone else have a better idea? Don't know if I'm on the right track or way off?? :)

Thanks,

Alicia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

First, you need a utility knife and a putty knife to cut away the caulking. Under the caulking, you will fing glazier's points. Little triangle shaped keepers that hold the glass in the space. A flat screwdriver and a small hammer can be used to renove those.

The piece of glass will then lift out in one piece, which is MUCH safer!

Now, if you break the glass, you will still have to do all the above. It will be much more dangerous with pieces of broken glass to work around.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:20AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

Thanks, Handymac. I really appreciate it. Wasn't sure where to post this and get an answer, so thanks!!! Now I know what I'll do today. :)

Alicia

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 11:13AM
brickeyee

"Now, if you break the glass, you will still have to do all the above. It will be much more dangerous with pieces of broken glass to work around."

If you decide to break out glass for removal, cover it with tape first.

It is much safer to then break the glass, cut the tape, and remove the pieces.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 11:39AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

Oh, that's a good tip. I was just thinking that knowing me, I'll probably end up breaking a piece as I remove it. Gotta find some good gloves too! Don't want to cut my hands. But I have some duct tape here that I'll cover any broken pieces. Hopefully that won't occur, but what a great tip. Thanks! :)

I'll post a pic of it when I'm finished removing the glass. It's obscure glass. Just thought of that. Any difference in removal?? Can't imagine there would be.....

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 11:58AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

Here are the pics of before and after the glass was removed. Thanks, again, for the advice. Now I need to strip it and go from there. Sorry for the bigger pics. I tried to resize and only one took.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™