Lacquering Walls

beekeeperswifeAugust 20, 2012

Has anyone lacquered a painted wall to give it a very high glossy shine? I want the walls to look wet. I'm not posting a picture, if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, just google lacquered walls under images.

If so, can you tell me what you used and if there are any tricks to it so it looks good, no, great.

Thanks

Bee

Here is a link that might be useful: my google search results

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

It's basically just a basecoat clearcoat application. But the surface you start with must be PERFECT. The trick to it looking great is to have impeccable drywall work or a hand plastered wall from a true professional. Glossy surfaces show every single imperfection. The other secret is spray application from a professional with the right equipment and lots of coats of clear, with wet sanding to polish it out. That generally is best done in a shop and "panels" applied to a wall rather than attempting to do it in a home. There is no good water based lacquer, and it's pretty toxic and stinky, not just to apply, but to cure.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:23PM
beekeeperswife

l_w_o....ugh. That's what I thought. I read about having it sprayed. Oh well, that isn't happening. I guess I'll go the other direction...dead flat. I love that BM Matte finish.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:47PM
trailrunnerbiker

I have the BM Matte in dark colors in my kitchen and in the DR...Thyme Green and Belgian Chocolate. I love the finish and always think it looks so lush.

But...boy oh boy those black walls in your link..that bathroom...whew baby...I sure would do that in a heartbeat if i had a place to do it....c

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 6:57PM
palimpsest

My painter has also done it with Fine Paints of Europe in the ultra high gloss finish.

They did 7 coats of spackle and sanding prior to applying the paint in the last application I am aware of (for someone else, I couldnt afford this)

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
texasgal47
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
bobcatralph Owens
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Best mirror for misaligned light and faucet?
The light over our bathroom sink is not centered over...
amj0517
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™