Help...Trying to find fastener

tmy23September 2, 2009

Hello to all. I have built a wooden range hood in our kitchen and have a removable panel on the front, so that I can gain access to the ventilation equipment inside. I could use magnets from behind this "cover" but wanted to use something more decorative. I remember seeing in the past small, flush mount decorative metal "buttons" with wood screws on the back, or even low profile knobs that fasten to a machine screw that I would mount behind the door in the mating surface. BUT I don't know what this type of hardware is called? I have tried many "konb" sites, but it's all pull type knobs, which stand out too far form the surface for the look I am trying to achieve. I'm talking about some type of decorative brass or pewter screw head which will sit flush on the surface of the cover but can be easily removed?

Does this ring a bell with anyone?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There was a kind of mirror-mounting washer that was decorative, but it still used a wood screw in the center.
There are colored plastic caps that snap on to cover round-head screws.
? Casey

    Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 10:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm not sure whether the post is confusing or I just haven't had enough coffee. Are you looking for a knob to pull with your fingers, or a catch to hold the access panel in place, or both? If this piece of hardware is to serve both functions, you might be thinking of the push-button latches I've seen used in boat cabinetry.

    Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 5:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Finishing washer.....washer head......truss head.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler

    Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 8:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Why don't you countersink the holes, set the screws in 1/4", and then press in (but not glue in) screw hole buttons or wooden plugs? You should be easily able to find them locally in a species of wood that will match your hood and in a variety of diameters. I've done this in a number of similar projects and it looks good and is simple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buttons/plugs

    Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 1:14PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™